I’ve noticed other blogs have a theme for their posts that provide structure for both the writer and the reader. At the risk of being a bit too cute, I’m going to give it try. So Wednesday’s theme is — Where’d They Go?
It is fitting that the first mystery involves Adriano Giorgio (1871 – ?). We don’t know when he died because after showing up in the 1910 Census in Dunbar, Pennsylvania, he never appears on any subsequent US Census Reports. This would suggest he was no longer living in the US and left some time between 1912 and 1920.
Here’s what we know about Adrian:
1. He has brothers who came to the US in the late 1800s. Ciro came before him or with him and some came after him. The ones we know include Ciro (1865-1926), Pasquale (1878-1958), Romulado (1881 – 1941). They all lived in and around New Castle, Lawrence County, PA although Adriano spent time in Dunbar, PA, which is southeast of Pittsburgh in Fayette County.
2. His first wife, Marianna Frattura, died a week after giving birth to their only child, Nicola Giorgio, in Castel di Sangro, Italy in the fall of 1896. Sometime between fall of 1896 and February 1899 Adriano came to the US and met and married Custode Iacobucci. They ran a grocery store and owned property in Dunbar, PA. What we don’t know is whether or not Adriano and Custode knew each other in Italy or met after they arrived in western PA.
3. In May 1912 he left Dunbar, abandoning Custode and their 8 children. There is no evidence to suggest that he ever returned. This information (the date and the number of children) comes from Custode’s affidavit in a 1912 lawsuit that she brought to avoid being evicted from the home that she and the children lived in.
4. There is some suggestion (both from the lawsuit and from what living relatives remember) that Adriano went to South America when he left Dunbar in 1912.
5. He probably died in Italy sometime in the early 1950s. This is based on Irene Veri’s recollection that her father (Nick George) was going to take her to Italy to meet her grandfather Adrian when she was about 15 years old. They never made the trip because they got word that Adrian had died.
That’s what we know – so where did he go? Please, please, please – if you have any information, ideas, stories or things you even vaguely remember hearing, make a comment to this post in the box below marked – Leave a Reply. Since I think there is a pretty big Giorgio famiglia out there, please let me know if you think you are related to Adriano and share whatever information you have about him.